This is the short list of books on topics discussed here at IthaCan that come highly recommended by our members.
- Anderson, Elizabeth and Judy Harrison (2006). So Easy to Preserve, 5th ed. Cooperative Extension Service.
- Bubel, Mike and Nancy (1991). Root Cellaring. North Adams, MA: Storey Publishing, LLC.
- Carroll, Ricki (2002). Cheesemaking. North Adams, MA: Storey Publishing, LLC.
- Gardeners and Farmers of Terre Vivante (trans 1999). Preserving Food Without Freezing or Canning. White River Junction, VT: Chelsea Green.
- Greene et al (1992). Putting Food By. New York: Penguin Book Group.
- Jack, Dave and Eric Toensmeier (2005). Edible Forest Gardens. White River Junction, VT: Chelsea Green.
- Katz, Sandor (2003). Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods. White River Junction, VT: Chelsea Green.
- Kingry, Judi and Lauren Devine (2006). Ball: Complete Book of Home Preserving. Toronto, ON: Robert Rose, Inc.
- Peterson, L. A. (1977). Peterson field guides: Edible wild plants. New York, NY: Houghton Mifflin Company.
For a more in depth DIY book list, check out sister site, PreparedTompkins.org post: Bea's Book List