Not sure if this is the best forum for this, but since I don't know much about the process, I thought it might be a good place to start. Does anyone know if you can make your own bone meal, or have any experience with it? I see a bunch of conflicting info about this online, ranging from "it's an industrial process you can't do at home" to "just throw your extra bones in a blender."
I've been thinking that it's one of the commonly recommended organic supplements, and it would be rather nice if there's a way to make it (the ultimate in local sourcing) rather than buying it... especially because bones take a lot longer to compost than most of the other stuff we put out there. Lots of questions follow, like:
- What kind of bones can bone meal be made from?
- Do they need to be "fresh" or can they be cooked?
- Do you dry them before grinding, or after?
- What kind of grinder does it take to get them fine enough for use? What is fine enough, anyway?
- Is there any other processing involved, like sun bleaching them or burning them or soaking them in lye or something else I might not be aware of?